Friday, August 14, 2009

Haiti!

So, I've now been in Haiti nearly a week and her are just a few of my many observations and experiences thus far.

-First and most importantly, Haiti is not Uganda.

-Indeed, Haitian insects love me possibly even more than Ugandan insects.

-"Fume" are Haitian fire ants. Yes, it hurts when they bite you.

-Traditional Haitian food has been a rare sight at the school. I helped make dinner last night - French Toast with maple syrup. Spaghetti is for breakfast tomorrow.

-However, Haitian Catsup and Haitian Peanut Butter are delicious. It's my goal to bring some home with me for Christmas.

-Also, I learned that I will indeed be teaching English literature at Louverture Cleary. My students will be Rheto and Philo (12-13th graders). Some of the books that these classes read in the past included Animal Farm, To Kill a Mockingbird, Things Fall Apart, Cry the Beloved Country, and Romeo and Juliet. Each grade has two sections - so four classes so far. I will likely be teaching some gym class but the details are not yet finished.

-During the weekends it is very relaxing as much of the Haitian staff go home for the weekends. I'm nearly finished reading Atlas Shrugged - still undecided about the next book on my list.

-The beginning of school remains in the distance: September 14. Clearly, I have some time to adjust and plan for the year. In fact, it might be a good idea to start reading and rereading the books I will be teaching this year...

-Oh, some of the Haitian staff that live at the school informed me that when I speak, I'm "playing" the bass. Haha.

-Also, the friendly neighborhood water truck plays delightful tunes each morning - "My Heart Will Go On" from Titanic and Santa Claus is Coming to Town are easily my favorites.

-Finally, a few nights ago I noticed that it was noticeably cooler in my room - In fact, I actually used my sheet to keep warm. Oh yes, when I looked at my alarm clock before I went to bed it told me that it was a "brisk" 82 degrees in my room that night...

This is rambling and I need to go to bed.

Bon Nwit!

1 comment:

  1. When its a sudden 30 degree drop in temperature, 82 here suddenly feels chilly...I bet by the time you hit "winter," it might actually feel like winter too. Going to make TX feel cold, thats for sure.

    ReplyDelete