Saturday, September 12, 2009

And...

School! Tuesday September 15 is the first day of class and I can unequivocally say that I am very excited. I got my course schedule this past week as well as an up-to-date school calendar. Exciting stuff. A bit nervous about my "triple class days" (three of my courses have a single day where we meet for three class periods). Eh, it will work out. Always makes me smile to see some of my classroom locations as "Terrain 1" and "Terrain 2". Ah, good times.

So, I assume that everyone knows that environmental degradation is a major problem in developing countries across the world. Well, it is a major problem here in Haiti. Deforestation is a major problem as only 1% of the original tree cover remains. Similarly, lack of a sewer system and no government coordinated trash program exacerbates the situation. To remedy this situation, LCS has its own incinerator where all trash that can be burned is burned. This past week I had the joy of learning how to operate this fun device (remember, I've known about it at least since the kickball game). Anyways, it is a relatively simple process that involves sifting ash, shoveling in trash, throwing gasoline, and lighting a match. Also, do my best to breath through my nose (or not breath at all to avoid fumes). Metal and glass are thrown into large 6-6-6 pits. We cover them with dirt when they get full and then dig another pit. One of my fellow volunteers and some of the Haitian staff had the joy of digging one of these pits this past week. Funny enough, he's a short guy, so you couldn't even see him when he was in the pit!

Also, remember, don't pick up grass cuttings with your hands. As I learned, they are covered in Fume!

And the other day I was surprised to see a cow tethered to the corner of the soccer field. Silly me, this surprised me. Anyways, apparently they buy cows every two weeks during the school year for the students to eat. It's so practical it's practically blowing my mind.

This week was a slow reading week. I finished Romeo and Juliet and continued the Idiot. Not much else really. Lesson planning took up more time than I expected, so it goes.

Oh, a male student this week asked "Fitzgerald?" when I told him my name was "Mr. Kennedy." Also, a female student addressed me as "Mr. President" the other day. No, I did not start this trend. But I feel like its going to spread without my help.

Also, I got called a good "catcher" by some of the neighborhood kids. I usually play goalie when they come over to play soccer and I guess I impressed them (or they really don't like playing goalie, which is possible).

In other news, Argentina and Brazil are the two most popular football national teams. An informal poll from the other night (cheering sounds when a goal is scored) say Brazil is a bit more popular.

Finally, I've started doing some work for a project associated with LCS: the Economic Growth Initiative (EGI). Here is its website: http://www.mtdn.com/egi

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment